Friday, September 18, 2009

On the Metaphysical Nature of Driving Lanes and Intravenus Chai


10 days is too long in between posts, Alex.
I know. I wanted to write earlier, but I have been very busy.
Busy doing what? I expect you have something to show for your flagrant disregard of communicatory etiquette.
Well...
Well?
Actually, no. I have nothing.
To the dungeon with you!

++++++

Driving here is not like driving anywhere else I have ever been. I always pitied those poor souls who have to learn to drive in NYC. I had never been to Delhi. Of course, so many people here just buy their drivers licenses that learning isn't really an issue... The fact is that I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of drivers in Delhi bought their drivers licenses. Yesterday. But maybe that's not fair. I certainly couldn't navigate the insanity that is our daily commute in a car or car-like creature. Lanes here are truly an amorphous and undefinable thing. They don't really...mean anything. So it actually takes an intense amount of concentration and dexterity to drive without crashing, not to mention avoiding the unconcerned pedestrians and people walking around cars trying to sell bobble-head dogs and head scratchers (apparently there is a large market for these things here).

Honking too is a different story in Delhi than in the United States. Constant honking. All the time. It's necessary though, for the most part. Because when you and your fellow drivers aren't driving under the collective understanding that you will stay in your lane and the next car will do the same, you have to let other cars know where you are. People don't honk because they're mad. In the states, you look at someone hoking their horn and see the steam pouring out of their ears. Here, you look over at a driver who has just been laying on the horn and see him staring contemplatively out at the writhing sea of cars, people, cows, dogs... There may be a lesson to be learned here, but I'm not quite there yet. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

++++++

Last weekend we went to Amritsar, a city in the state of Punjab and home to the Golden Temple and the Indo-Pakistani border. This post will not be about that trip. It will be about the ensuing week of insanity and sleep deprivation. I like to keep this blog for the most exciting, exotic, and impressive topics. Obvi, as my friend Erika would say.

We got home, after a 6 hour train ride, at 11PM. Exhausted from a weekend of non-stop touristing, I went to bed around 1 AM, and was up at 6:45 to catch a rickshaw to school by 7:30. A combination of a hefty amount of reading, starting the week out tired, and not having down/homework time over the weekend turned the week into something closer to heavy-lidded sleepwalking than living. Tuesday morning we had to get up early to go to our first yoga class. I distinctly remember thinking as I was putting on my clothes, I wish I could have some chai right now. I don't want to drink it though, I need it to be administered intravenously, straight into my veins. Instant gratification, warm trickely feeling all through my body, that would be good. Should I be worried?

NOTE: You'll all be glad (I think...) to know that we got a break on Friday. Hindi (morning) class was canceled, and we didn't have any other homework. I slept for 11 hours. Mmmmmmmm.

4 comments:

  1. Who are the rock stars in the girl band? I love you. Nelle Nodrog (secret admirer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad always tells stories about driving in India. I remember when he was teaching me how to drive he took some time out to show me how driving was done in India. He started swerving all over the place and honking the horn again and again while sticking his arm and head out the window to shout from time to time. Thankfully, we were in an empty parking lot not in the middle of a bustling metropolis like you are. On another note, Amritsar?!?!?! The Golden Temple?!?!?! That's so exciting, I wish I was there. I'm glad that you're busy and that you're having such incredible experiences, but most of all I'm glad that you got your much needed sleep.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the cats´ new names although I didn´t mind the old ones so much. Busi means freshmanin Icelandic. Although I hope you didn´t haze the poor thing when it came to live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, maybe I should stop complaining about other drivers as much. Its a buggy bug world of cars out there

    ReplyDelete