Wednesday, November 18, 2009

the sound of Rain


I can't give it to you here. It's a sound, and anyway, if I recorded it, it wouldn't be the same. Maybe a part of it is that you can't control it, can't call it on demand. It comes when the clouds are full and softens everything, calms the earth for as long as it will. I can't think of many sounds that are more gentle, can't really even describe what it is exactly, because the words don't add up to the sound or the feeling. Who's surprised? Get deep enough into words and realize that they really only go so far. But still, remembering the sound is good...


++++++


A: OK, so I've made a list of reasons why you should go to Barista with me.

S: Oh no, I can't.

A: So, you'll study, and then have your Hindi lesson...

S: No, I said no.

A: ...then, we'll walk down the hill, and that'll be really good because it will get you all focused because all your [makes swirling gesture around head] things will be moving...

S: No, I'm not going.

M: Who'se going to Barista?
S: Not me.

A: ...and then, we'll get there, and you'll be all focused and we can do homework...

S: No, I can' t go, I never get anything done.

A: ...and it'll be really good and we really will do homework...

S: Do you need any help getting things together?
M: No, only with the second thing.

A:...and I'll make sure that you do homework and I'll do homework too.

S: What? No, I am not going to Barista. I need to stay here and get some solid work done.

A: OK, fine, that's fine. I'll just go to my room and cry.

S: OK. Let me know when you're done.


++++++


We find home in the most unexpected places, don't we? In a book, in a sound, in a house, in a freezing-cold-unfortunate-excuse-for-a-guest-house-with-a-manager-who-sings-a-little-while-he-works-so-his-voice-echoes-in-the-high-cold-rooms. Maybe they're not so unexpected, maybe we knew we would find them, and that's why we're here, why we keep searching, why we go out even though we're scared to death. Maybe that's why this up-and-down life works out, because even when we're sulky and anxious, sometimes it starts to rain on the walk home and we find our scorched and stinging hearts cooled and softened.

8 comments:

  1. sulky and anxious? rain IS the best cure, too bad we don't get more of it around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing! You don't know how much I needed that.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "scorched and stinging hearts cooled and softened"
    I'd like to offer you an advance on your next novel. Beautiful writing alex. No really, I'm completely seriously objectively saying so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. photos are amazing. more please. more words too please. such beautiful stories. thank you Alex. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks. Mom, from henceforth quotation of posts will be unacceptable and punishable by a (undoubtedly sever) measure to be determined at a later date. Also, you can never be objective with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't promise I won't quote you, but I can promise I will NEVER be objective with you.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can be objective with you, and you are good with the words... And I'm a bit of a word snob, so that says something.

    About rain: One of my favorite sounds too. I grew up in a house with a pretty much flat (horizontal) roof, just slightly sloped. The sound of rain, especially big rains, was absolutely amazing. I would close my eyes and just listen, and feel completely surrounded. Amazing and unforgettable. After-rain smells so good, too.

    ReplyDelete