Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Toasty-toast

Mmmm. I have recently been taking solace in breakfast. Not that I really have much to take solace...from? What I mean is, it's all relative, as I was so gently reminded today at Shutter Sisters. In any case, it has been my experience in recent weeks that a sweet little breakfast often brings me back from "I'm not OK", to "I might be OK" (inspiration for this taken from Glow in the Woods). Here's how it goes.

(dreaming strange dreams in which a customer from the yarn store where I used to work who is a chemist of some sort calls me to tell me that the results from my blood test are ready, and are being sent to my doctor)
Ouch! My ear...wrong side...gurgle...blink...groan...what time is it? My thesis should've been finished last week. And I don't have a boyfriend. F#$@! Can I just skip it today? The living thing? No? Fine! But I'm not going to be happy about it!

In Ecuador, we were spoiled rotten everywhere we stayed. It's easy for an American to live like royalty in Ecuador, as everything there is so cheap (because everyone there is so poor...another discussion for another time). A tourist in a country literally on the equator, you have all the riches of the aforementioned equitorial zone at your fingertips. Actually, they're in the kitchen of the hotel, and you just press 33#, fumble through the conversational equivalent of a stray dog with a limp in which the person on the other end of the line gets fed up and eventually starts speaking english to you (as spanish doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere), and fifteen minutes later, it's at your door.

What riches! Papaya, cantelope, tamatillo de arbol, eggs fresher than you've had since you went to that pioneer camp and had to clean out the cow stalls, coffee fresher than you've ever had it before (that is, from the plant)... It's glorious. If you're on vacation, that is. If you're the person trying to realize the mantra "the customer's always right" with a half-sleeping gringa on the other end of the line, I'd imagine it's not so plesant.

So, I'm back, changed, missing Ecuador and looking towards what's to come. Feeling slightly in-between. And almost every morning, and sometimes even as I'm falling asleep at night, I eagerly anticipate the breakfast that I've already planned out- the breakfast that I had yesterday, and probably the day before. If I'm lucky (and let's face it, I usually am), it includes papaya, toast with butter and jam (whoever invented that combination is my favorite person. Like if there was flickr for people instead of pictures, I would totally "fave" that person), and coffee with either soymilk or cowsmilk and a little sugar. Mmmmm. Then I take it outside and sit on the couch my mom put on our back porch (my second favorite person on the flickr for people would be my mom for this ingenious idea), and justify putting off my thesis for another hour or so because everybody needs some time to warm up, right? And honestly, it's the best time of day. Who could argue, with a view like this?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Central American breakfasts! Basically, I would like to eat beans at every meal of the day. Preferably with fried plantains and half an avocado that was just picked off the tree, with a little bit of sour cream on the side.


    Mmmmm. Now I have to find some plantains in Thailand. That is going to be really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that! In my heaven, there will be copious amounts of fried plantains, beans and rich. Mmmm- good protein for a vegetarian too! Also in my heaven will be tons and tons of mango and sticky rice- might be more accessible in your current neck of the woods. Forgot to mention, the wine bar is in Oakland, in the Temescal district. Lots of fun, even if you're not a hipster...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm trying now to eat breakfast more often...
    especially after our civilized brunch.
    It is just so peaceful... if you are not rushing...

    I'll wake up early and give it a try tomorrow morning. :)

    ReplyDelete